Top 5 Health Benefits of Acai
April 1, 2020
The acai berry has been used for its health benefits by people native to the Amazon for many years, and recently the berry’s popularity has risen among the diets of people around the globe. The acai berry has a delicious taste similar to that of a blueberry with hints of chocolate flavor, and is packed full of health benefits. Here are a few of the health advantages acai has to offer:
- Helpful for Weight Loss – Acai is loaded with antioxidants, which aid in weight loss. Not only does the berry help a person lose weight, but is also helps a person to maintain a healthy weight. A study from the National Institutes of Aging found that the pulp from the berry had the capability of reducing negative effects from a diet high in fat. Recently acai dietary supplements and pills have become popular. This use of the acai berry is not consistently successful, but the pills and supplements have produced some positive results. There is still more research being conducted on the benefits of acai, but it appears that the berries do have a strong impact on weight loss.
- Heart Health – Research shows that acai berries are very high in anthocyanins, also found in red wine, which are a form of antioxidant that has the ability to lower cholesterol levels in the blood stream. The berry is also full of plant sterols that provide protective heart benefits to cells by preventing blood clots and enhancing overall blood flow. Anthocyanins are also responsible for lowering risk of strokes and heart attacks. Heart disease is becoming an increasing problem in the world, and by consuming acai people are able to use a natural method to reduce these risks.
- Healthier Skin – Brazilians have been using the acai berry to treat various skin conditions for years. Many modern beauty suppliers have adapted their products to contain acai oil due to its high antioxidant content. This oil has the ability to reduce redness and irritation while also moisturizing the skin. Acai oil is a great alternative to chemical products that overtime have harmful effects on a person’s skin. Consuming the berry is also said to give a person’s skin a healthy looking glow.
- Stronger Immune System and Cancer Prevention – Vitamin C and ellagic acid are great immune system boosters, and fortunately the acai berry very high in both of these things. The combination of Vitamin C and ellagic acid has been shown to suppress the growth of cancer cells. Although acai berries are not a cure for cancer, they may provide insight in research and aid in the process of finding a cure for the disease.
- Anti-Aging Qualities – One of the best known benefits of the acai berry is its ability to slow down the aging process. This is due to the high levels of antioxidants in the berry. These antioxidants remove the free radicals that initiate the breakdown of hair, teeth, skin, and eye health. Consuming the berry or using acai oil can reduce hair loss, decline the formation of wrinkles, and slow down effects of macular degeneration. In terms of neuro benefits, the berry has also been associated with improving mental function and sharpness. Not only does the acai berry have amazing health benefits, it also has awesome flavor! While a majority of health foods lack in their taste, this berry can be enjoyed as a delicious and nutritious power-snack or meal. Incorporate acai into your diet and do not miss out on the beneficial health qualities this berry has to offer.